Every year, across the globe we countdown to celebrate Earth Hour & take 1 iconic action:
Switch off the lights.
On the 30th March 2019, hundreds of famous landmarks across the UK switched off their lights as a display of their commitment to the future of our planet – The Shard, Piccadilly Circus, Carnaby Street, Big Ben, London Eye, Buckingham Palace, and Edinburgh Castle to name a few. The world’s biggest landmarks also switched off – places like the Sydney Opera House, Empire State Building, the Eiffel Tower and the Taj Mahal. And millions of you switched off too!
Why Should I Help?
We’re destroying forests, choking the oceans with plastic, decimating wildlife population sizes and causing devastating changes to the climate. The problem is we think we have time. But nature needs our help right now.
- Wildlife population sizes have plummeted by 60% in less than 50 years.
- One in six species is at risk of extinction because of climate change.
- There could be more plastic in the sea than fish by 2050.
- We lose an area of forest the size of a football pitch every two seconds.
- Food is a major driver of wildlife extinction. The food we eat in the UK alone is linked to the extinction of an estimated 33 species at home and abroad.
- Nature provides our life-support system – from the air we breathe, to the water we drink and the food we eat. We cannot survive without it.
So it’s your turn!
Would you like to have a voice and play a part in putting our planet on the road to recovery? Each year, millions of regular people- just like you and I- switch off their lights and organise events to show they care about the future of our planet. In 2019, over 188 countries and territories joined the switch off!
It’s easy for you to get involved too. Encourage your friends and family to join you on 28th MARCH 2020 AT 8.30PM.
Simply switch off your house lights, unplug your iPhones, flick the wall switch on your TV and #Connect2Earth for an hour. (Be sure to use the hashtag, it’s exciting to see how far our influence spreads each year!)