So you’ve been lucky enough to secure a work experience placement – now what?
Well we’ve put together a few tips for you to use, to help you get the most you can out of your work experience.
Why should I read these work experience tips?
It’s easy enough to float through a work experience placement, particularly if it is only for a few days or a week.
Chances are, you will be given relatively menial tasks (at least some of the time) and it can be all too tempting to quietly carry these out for the duration of your placement.
There is nothing wrong with this per se and you may get a nice reference…but will you be memorable?
Make an impression (a good one)
- We all know that first impressions really count. It may sound obvious but make sure you turn up to work on time and are dressed appropriately.
- You can’t usually go wrong if you dress smartly but of course your clothing will depend on the type of work you’ll be doing and the culture of the organisation.
- Present the best version of yourself – if you’re professional, friendly and reliable, hopefully more opportunities will come your way.
- A great way to demonstrate enthusiasm is to offer to help out colleagues where you can.
- Use initiative and try to go above and beyond whatever is asked of you.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. It shows that you care about doing things properly.
Ask for feedback
- If possible, try to gain feedback from your supervisor as you go along, meaning that you’ll have a chance to improve throughout your placement.
- Once you’ve finished your work experience, it’s important to reflect on your time. Did you enjoy it? Why/why not? Think about writing a short summary of your time, stating what you have gained as a result.
- You never know, you may even be able to use your new contacts when it comes to job hunting in future!
Team Oodles x